Generator Sizing Guide 

1. Calculate the load size 

First : what equipment will the generator be running?

Are you running 3 units of 2 HP air conditioner? If so, you can estimate that you are using 24 Amperes single phase. Is it for Backup Or Full Use?

Make a list of everything you need to power and calculate the total wattage.The total wattage will tell you the amount of electrical power required by your equipment and from there you will need know how many amp do you really need .

2. Convert power equipment from kW to kVA

Actual Power : kW is the amount of power that is converted into a useful output.

Apparent Power :kVA is electrical power unit

You can convert between kVA and kW if you know the efficiency of the electrical system.

The formula for converting kVA into kW is:

Apparent power (kVA) x power factor (pf) = actual power (kW)

e.g. 100 kVA x 0.8 = 80 kW

The formula for converting kW into kVA is:

Actual power (kW) / power factor (pf) = apparent power (kVA)

e.g. 100 kW / 0.8 =  125 kVA

3. Define your running equipment

If you’re going to be using the generator as your main power supply, you’ll need to size for 80% capacity, leaving a 20% safety margin will also allow for future power requirements.

4. Contact a technician

If you still confuse about choosing the right size . Always you can get in touch with Mega Genset Malaysia

Why actual generator sizing matter ?

standby generator is a back-up electrical system that operates automatically.Within seconds of a utility outage an automatic transfer switch senses the power loss, commands the generator to start and then transfers the electrical load to the generator. Unfortunately, determining exactly what size of generator to get is quite difficult and involves a number of factors There is some causes if you are randomly choosing the size of generator

Generator that too large power may cause ;

  • less power production
  • a carbon buildup in the engine causing a power loss

Generator that too small power may cause ;

  • damages generator
  • Overheating generator

Examining Generator Performance

If you have done calculate the amount of power that you will need from a backup generator, the next step is to identify a generator unit that will meet your needs.

Firstly, you should do is look for a unit with the necessary power rating to run your selected items. Generators are usually rated in kilowatts and come in many variety of capacities. To help guide your selection , do contact us for more details

Need help in searching the right size of generator ?

Buying a generator that TOO BIG means that you are paying more money than you should, not only for the generator but also for the fuel costs

Buying a generator that is TOO SMALL like you are investing money that you won’t be able to actually do what you need it .

What Are You Waiting For?

Protect Your Home & Business Now. Get A FREE Quote For A Generator Below:

Contact us below if you don’t know where to start. We will give you advice on the Genset size that you need.

    Go To Home Page